Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Webspinna Battle

NACHoooOOOooooOO!!!!




When Napoleon Dynamite and Nacho Libre get together, you better bring some toast and tots because it's going to be a good time. Especially when they summon their eagle powers, learn some sick dance moves, and yes, even wrestle in tights.

Nick Ritter and I put together a little webspinna battle, as we like to call it, in which we collected and mixed sounds from various internet sites, dressed up like our characters, and performed a scripted battle of both sounds, music, dancing, and acting. When we started searching for sounds to use in our performance, we found that we could use music to reflect character's intentions, goals, and voices. Personally, I was surprised to hear so many songs at the webspinna battle. I was sure that people would use more dialogue and movie quotes. Soundboards that quote movies and put a collection of a certain group of songs can be found for a lot of different topics, stereotypes and movies, but music is definitely the most present sound medium on the internet, so it makes sense.

The performance itself was a performance like I've never experienced. I've sang on stage, acted, danced, played sports, all in front of groups, but this was completely different! It was like I had to use my internet navigation skills (which I use way too much every single day already) to present entertainment. Just like anything else, I guess the more you practice, prepare, rehearse, and perfect your performance the more flawless it will end up.

Throughout the semester I have noticed a commonality in my own projects as well as others. When we are given an assignment, I tend to naturally lean on a comfortable medium, genre, text, or interest that correlates with my personal interests. Nacho Libre is one of my favorite movies and I quote it everyday. Neal Butler is a huge sports guy and his character was a jock. Neil was a woman. He likes girls. It's easy math guys. We have voices and when we are given the opportunity to express them through art, we seize them and awesomeness happens.

Rythym Science Webtake shares an interesting perspective:

"Future generations won't have a 'dependence' on technology. They will have technology as a core aspect of their existence - as much as the languages we speak, the air we breath and the food that we eat are all aspects of technology"

I wonder how art will be influenced. I wonder how competitions will be influenced. Will new sports be invented with the rise of technology? Will new art mediums be invented? I think it's inevitable.

The Hunger Games is definitely an extreme politically radical example, but that's a huge technology-driven competitive sport that reflects one author's idea.

Webspinna just made me think about how there can be different forms of media and entertainment and how a lot could change the more society and technology changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment