Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Concerened Citizen

"If our higher purpose is to develop societies securely
grounded in possibility, compassion, and connection, our
task is to collectively imagine these things. There is no
more powerful way to do that than by making art that
rehearses the future we wish to help into being."
-Arlene Goldbarg



When we sat down with James Christensen I was immediately intrigued by his artsy personality. He was creative with his words, with the style in which he conversed, and wow! His house was full of such interesting artwork! When it comes to highly influential people, I think there are two different types. First, there are those who set out to change the world, have energy and a desire to make a difference in the community by getting involved in certain jobs, volunteer positions, etc. Then there are those who are quiet yet exemplary. They are fascinating in their own way and usually very humble. I didn't get to know James Christensen as well as I would have liked, but he seems to fit into the second category.

As a renowned artist, Christensen creates pieces of art that don't follow the norm. He said in his interview "I didn't follow the New York City standard, I just painted what I liked." As a film student in a very mainstreamed and standardized culture, it's inspiring to hear an artist like James Christensen. Of course, he was influenced by northern renaissance painters, but in the end, he was able to create his own style.

It's interesting-I haven't gotten so caught up in editing a film like this one for a long time. I found myself in a completely different world, really excited about making this a quality short documentary. I wanted it to be perfect. It was something that I wanted to be proud of for years, and I think I can attribute that to the level of respect I have for James and his artistic example, which is why I decided to name it Artistic Resonance. His personality and example of spiritual and artistic maturity resonates both in his art, with his viewers, and especially with me. We hope that this film does the same for those who get to see it.

I looked around at a couple different artists with similar videos about them and this one about Audrey Louise Reynolds and her fascination with color stuck out to me. She takes colors from plants, rocks, and other natural resources, and uses them to color more artificial things such as clothes.

What I take away most from Christensen's video we made is his last comment that encourages artists to immerse themselves and find out what strums their heart strings. What a cool metaphor and what a great idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment